Militarie Gun - Ian Shelton is a busy man. Earlier this year, the punk renaissance man released one of his best-hitting albums in a while with his brutally powerful band State Justice Center, and now he's coming up with another project with a completely different sound. . It's called an EP

, and is the second release from new band Military Gun, which appeared in our Artists You Need column last month.

Militarie Gun

Militarie Gun

What started out as a solo project out of Epidemic is now a well-rounded group made up of members of Church of Drugs and Modern Color, and between their 2020 EP,

Shrooms, Self Destruction, \

, and this new joint, have quickly become one of the most exciting post-hardcore bands—if you can even call them that. Shelton Gruff's vocals put him firmly in the punk world, but by any other measure, Gun Military is an indie band that writes mediocre pop-rock songs.

Not influenced by the usual punk suspects, but by alt-rock bands like Blur and Modest Mouse, sixties nostalgists like Guided By Voices and sixties pop-rock gods like Paul McCartney and The Byrds. As he explained in the follow-up, the EP was more of a place to express his frustrations and reflect on bad studio experiences, a little anger against other bands, in fact 7-Eleven was in his head. happened abroad. - as if it's a writing exercise to achieve pop-rock perfection.

It's an insulting song. It started like most MG songs, just a text on my phone saying "No flowers." Basically, it makes me laugh how people start playing "soft bands" and suddenly everything is a picture of flowers. To me this kind of thing just shows how many groups want to fit in and not show up. It ended up being more about being happy about the failure of people I don't like - being around them is bad and toxic. Musically, I tried to follow the simplicity of "Song 2" by Blur. The whole song ended up being a kind of mix of songs like "Cut Out Witch" sung by the director, a kind of Mouse Mode bridge and a very simple version of Nunes' other original rock.

At first, I didn't think this song would make the record. I thought it was beautiful and would carry over to the next project we were working on, but at the end of the sessions it was everyone's favorite song. The only thing I wrote when I was recording the demo was "don't pick up the phone when you're high on drugs" because a week before I got a bad phone call. The song just comes out of the paranoia where you feel like you want a good life, you want money and love, but something is standing in your way, someone is out to get you.

Fleshwater, Militarie Gun, Show Me The Body, And Ingrown On The Cover Of 'discovered Magazine'

When we released it, someone said it reminded me of "Wild Strawberry Girls" in the director's voice and I can see it as a secret influence because it is one of my favorites. MG, I like to use what I call a "victory bat," which is the bat that everyone seems to have used from the sixties to the nineteenth century with a hook on one of the [bats]. more songs than that. The balance of melody and humor in this song is one that I want to explore more in the future.

The day before I filmed the photoshoot, I walked out of the 7-Eleven in my house and tried to climb a three-foot wall full of snack food and soda cans. As a result, I flipped. My head when my leg was grabbed. I wanted to write about the days when nothing was right and I came to the conclusion that it might be worth it [for us]. It's one of the first songs we dropped that involved a lot of the band. This was the jam result of our bass player Max [

]. I had the riffs but then Max came in with that killer bass line that closed it.

Militarie Gun

When we went into the studio to record, there were things I was trying to do vocally in the choruses that weren't working. We tried a lot of things and we ended up saying basically I have to sing the same note for the whole song, so Nick [

Words And Photos: Militarie Gun / Spine / World I Hate At 22/32

] came up with the chorus lead in a place to pick up the same spot in the verses. This is one of my favorite tracks from both EPs and it makes me crawl out of my skin.

The musical jumping off point for this was trying to make a song with a chaotic intro and bright and sunny. The Byrds' "Eight Mile High" and Modest Mouse's "I Came as a Mouse" were huge influences, almost a song to begin with.

Paul McCartney's introduction also does this a lot. In the poem, I wanted to express my ability to get out of my hands when I get into a destructive cycle. Make one bad decision and you might make 10 more. Specifically, it was around the time I broke up, started living in my car and was in a bad place, and didn't do much to help myself. I like to put a dark theme in a song that sounds very happy. I think that MG's combination of sadness, laughter, happiness and anger are always in play and I hope they create something new and special. There are very few things about Ian Shelton's relationship with music that fit neatly into a box labeled "normal." That, as he sees it, is where it all started. "It was a typical 'set game' situation discovering the punk scene," he smiles.

Ian grew up between the Bay Area and a small town in Washington State called Enumclaw. He took with him a new appreciation for pop-punk when he moved north and was troubled by dysfunctional relationships at school and a difficult home life as his alcoholic parents were far from comfortable. - DIY's eye powers show that he started booking at a young age.

Artist Spotlight: Militarie Gun

"I [still] have the mentality that if you don't like me, I'm going to give you an amazing reason not to like me," he told Stereogum last year. a project

Breaking down the barriers between hardcore and noise rock, with a groove-driven song-style sound, Military Music is completely engaging as it completely defies what people expect from Ian, who has spent the last few years Cracks in the head. Unleash the local justice center with an incredible amount of violence.

In their last moments with Touché Amoré, Vein.fm, and Scowl, they were a strange group in everything but nature. "I'm very used to having an adversarial relationship with the audience and not being able to tell if they're enjoying something or not," says Ian. "But, at the same time, the military rifle still has an unusual sound. We will find people who will really compare it to any kind of aggressive music and music.

Militarie Gun

It's amazing how completely made Gun Military felt when the demo came out in the spring of 2020, and 7 "My life started a few months later. It was something new and untested, but Ian lives in his skin with a promise complete, he played every instrument and delivered every hook with incredible skin.

Militarie Gun In Indianapolis At Hoosier Dome

Ian started working on a military rifle when COVID took its toll, prompting a trip to the local justice center. He spent hours every day at the music hall, collecting songs that were nowhere to be seen. In those difficult weeks and months, as his normal life of touring and music disappeared from view, the project loomed large in his mind, as if it was something that really followed.

"I'm a big demo sender," he said. "When I make one, I send it to 20 people, and that's my first audience. I was like, 'Yeah, I don't want to make a band out of this, but I think the song is great. Do you think that?' are you good?' And they were like, 'Yeah, that's sick.' And I'm like, 'Oh, everyone thinks it's sick, what else do I write?'

"I gave them a demo and it seemed to click faster than anything else. Part of the feedback was that I [felt] like, 'Maybe this has potential.' And then I am very angry and I try my best.

Since then Military Rifles has become a loyal band, complete with William Acuna (guitar), Nick Coogan (guitar, also Church of Medicine), Max Epstein (bass), and Vince Nagin (drums).

Militarie Gun \

Share To:

atannkuecrkh

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours